Tags: Featured Story, Food & Home
Gathering the entire family around the table for meals or snack time is a great way to stay connected and enjoy time together. You can keep that family time fun by mixing up the menu and preparing quick and tasty meals together.
Here are some easy ways to bring smiles to the table every day:
Make breakfast together. Working together to put some breakfast magic on the table makes it even more special. Kids can spread peanut butter and jelly, wash fruit, set the table or help pour milk and juice.
Serve something unexpected. Use familiar ingredients in unexpected ways. Cereal can be used in meatloaf and casseroles, and as breading on baked chicken fingers or mozzarella sticks.
PB & J French Toast
Total Time: 25 minutes • Makes: 4 servings
- 8 slices whole wheat, white or cinnamon raisin bread
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 2 eggs
- 2tablespoons milk
- 2 1/2cups Honey Bunches of Oats cereal, crushed
- 2 cups sliced fresh fruit, such as strawberries and/or bananas
- 1 tablespoon sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread each of 4 bread slices with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and about 2 teaspoons of jam. Cover with remaining bread slices to make 4 sandwiches.
- Break eggs into shallow dish. Add milk and beat with wire whisk for 30 seconds. Place crushed cereal in pie plate. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, then into cereal, turning to evenly coat both sides. Press cereal gently into bread to secure. Place on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each sandwich diagonally in half; top with fruit. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with syrup