Tags: Featured Story, Food & Home, Party and Entertainment
The holiday season is full of opportunities to eat, drink and gather around the table with the ones you love. Whether it's a family dinner, office potluck or neighborhood brunch, good food is a cornerstone of nearly every great holiday celebration.
From hosting guests to kids returning home on winter break, the holiday season can require more planning than usual. Ensure you're prepared this year with a crowd-pleasing favorite like Bacon French Toast Bake, giving you more time to soak in the best parts of the season.
For more recipes and tips that can help make your holiday soiree a breeze, visit Smithfield.com/HolidayHub.
Bacon French Toast Bake
• 1 small loaf challah or brioche bread, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
• nonstick cooking spray
• 6 large eggs
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 cup whole milk
• 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
• 1/3 cup maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 4 slices Smithfield Bacon, cooked and chopped
• 1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
• 1/2 cup blackberries
• 1 teaspoon powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Leave bread slices out, at room temperature, at least 3 hours, or until slightly stale.
2. Generously coat 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange bread, slightly overlapping.
3. In large bowl, whisk eggs, heavy cream, milk, Gruyere cheese, maple syrup and cinnamon. Add chopped bacon, saving 2 tablespoons for later. Pour over bread in baking dish. With hands, press down on bread to submerge.
4. Cover baking dish with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 5 hours, or overnight.
5. Heat oven to 375 F. Remove plastic. Sprinkle remaining bacon and Swiss cheese over top of bread mixture.
6. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown and set.
7. Top with blackberries and dust with powdered sugar before serving.