Tags: Featured Story, Food & Home, Party and Entertainment
Start a new tradition this year to enjoy on Christmas Eve! Bake "snowball" cookies, brew plum tea and plan for a magical evening together with your little ones before they nestle into their beds to dream of sugar plums and the joy of Christmas morning.
Sparkling Sugar Plum Tea
Yield: Serves six | Prep time: 90 minutes
• Six black tea bags
• 1 cup sugar
• Four plums, sliced into wedges
• Six cups of lemon flavored sparkling water
• One cup of cold water
1. Boil the sparkling water, add tea bags and set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
2. Boil the remaining cup of cold water in a saucepan.
3. Stir in sugar until it dissolves.
4. Add plum wedges and remove from heat.
5. Let settle for 30 minutes then strain out plum pieces.
6. Combine syrup with tea and serve in festive mugs, just in time for Santa’s annual visit.
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 1/2 cups flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
• 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
• 1/2 cup butter
• 3 tablespoons milk
• 2 teaspoons coconut extract
• 1 cup shredded coconut
1. Heat oven to 400 F.
2. Cream together shortening, sugar, egg and vanilla extract.
3. Sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Add mixture to wet ingredients, alternatively adding in Greek yogurt.
4. Flour surface and roll out cookie dough. Use top of jar or biscuit cutter to make round cookie shapes.
5. Bake 8 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack immediately.
6. In medium bowl, using mixer on low, mix powdered sugar, butter, milk and coconut extract until thoroughly combined. Beat on high until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
7. Spread frosting on cookies. Pour shredded coconut into small bowl. Press cookies, frosting side down, into shredded coconut.
Store in airtight container.