Grill Up a Great Father's Day!
Moms and kids can make Father's Day exciting this year by making Dad some great tasting treats from the heart. Not only will it keep spending in check, the results will taste delicious and kids will have fun being part of the action.
Older kids can be Dad's helper at the grill. Try sweet and juicy fruit skewers along with Curried Turkey Sliders With Chutney — the tropical flavor of the kebabs and the tangy curry of the sliders make the perfect taste combination that will make Dad feel really special.
Quick tips on cooking with kiwifruit
Green kiwifruit is a natural meat tenderizer. Simply peel and mash a kiwifruit and spread it on a cut of meat. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes and then lightly scrape off the kiwifruit before cooking.
Look for plump and smooth-skinned kiwifruit with no wrinkles, bruises or punctures. Ripe green and gold kiwifruit will keep at room temperature for a few days. Keep them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator to store longer.
To speed up the ripening process, put kiwifruit in a brown bag with an apple or banana and leave on your kitchen counter.
More recipes and nutritional information are available at www.zesprikiwi.com.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
2 Zespri green kiwifruit, peeled and cut
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon ginger, fresh, grated
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
8 Zespri green kiwifruit, peeled and cut in
2 peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into
1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into
8 strawberries, hulled
2 bananas, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
8 wooden skewers
Purée lemon juice, honey, ginger, cinnamon and 2 kiwifruit, in food processor until smooth to make kiwifruit glaze. Do not crush kiwifruit seeds; set aside.
Place prepared fruit in large bowl. Pour puréed kiwifruit glaze over fruit and gently toss to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes. Arrange mixed fruits on skewers. Brush grill with oil. Preheat grill.
Grill fruit over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side, brushing with kiwifruit glaze until light brown. Serve immediately.
SCOOP UP SUMMER FUN!!!
|Ice Cream Lollipops|
Deliver a sweet ending to the perfect barbecue. With a few ingredients, such as sprinkles, marshmallows and nuts, you can add your own twist to brownies and transform them into a customized confection. Not only are they easy to make ahead of time, but a pan of brownies is easy to carry to the festive affair, requiring only one dish from baking to the barbecue. With no utensils necessary, they score huge "brownie points" with adults and kids alike.
Ice Cream Lollipops
A cool, easy twist on the lollipop that everyone will enjoy!
Prep time: 20 minutes
1. Scoop ice cream into 1 1/2 inch scoops. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Place in freezer for 15 minutes or until ice cream is semi-hard. Remove ice cream from freeze, shape into balls and insert a sucker stick into the center of each ball. Return lollipops to the freezer.
2. Place 1 cup water in a small saucepan; brinig to a simmer. Place chocolate, whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk in a small stainless steel bowl.
3. Place over hot water (upper bowl should not touch water) and stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Place toppings in a small bowl. Dip lollipops in chocolate sauce shaking gently to remove excess sauce, quickly roll in toppings. Return to freezer until serving time.
Makes 24 brownies
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Start to Finish: 1 hour 25 minutes
1 box Betty Crocker Original
Supreme brownie mix
Water, vegetable oil and eggs
called for on brownie mix box
3 cups miniature marshmallows
4 graham crackers, broken into
2 bars (1.55 ounces each) milk
chocolate candy, broken into
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom only of 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking spray
or shortening. Make and bake brownies as directed on box for 13 x 9-inch pan, using water, oil and eggs.
2. Set oven to broil. Immediately sprinkle marshmallows and graham crackers
over warm brownies. Broil about 4 to
5 inches from heat 30 to 60 seconds or until marshmallows are golden brown. (Watch carefully — marshmallows and graham crackers will brown quickly.) Sprinkle with chocolate candy. To serve warm, cool about 30 minutes. For brownies, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows