Every year, almost 1,000 smokers and non-smokers are killed in home fires caused by cigarettes or other smoking materials. The Bakersfield Fire Department is striving to help prevent home fire deaths and injuries caused by smoking materials. Fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials are preventable. You can make a difference!
If you smoke or live with someone who smokes, learn the facts. A lit cigarette accidentally dropped onto a chair or bed, or hot cigarette ashes or matches tossed away before they are completely out, can create a large fire in seconds.
Putting out a cigarette correctly only takes a few seconds. It is up to you to make sure your cigarette is completely extinguished, every time.
Twenty-five (25%) of people killed in home fires that were started by smoking materials are not the smoker whose cigarette caused the fire.
• More than thirty-five (35%) of reported deaths were the children of the smokers.
• Twenty-five (25%) percent were neighbors or friends of the smokers.
Smoking & Home Fire Safety Tips
• If you smoke, it is preferable that you smoke outside.
• When you smoke, use deep, sturdy ashtrays.
• Make sure cigarettes and ashes are completely extinguished.
• Never smoke in a room where medical oxygen is used.
• Be alert!
For more information and additional safety tips from the Bakersfield Fire Department, please visit www.bakersfieldcity.us/fire.