Tags: Featured Story, Food & Home, Party and Entertainment
8 large eggs, preferably organic
2½ cups superfine sugar
8 ounces brandy*
8 ounces rum*
4 ounces bourbon*
1 quart milk
Freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
1. Separate the eggs from the egg whites, setting the whites aside for a moment.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the yolks with a hand mixer until completely combined. Add the sugar and beat until it reaches a creamy consistency.
3. Add the brandy, rum and bourbon, and then the milk, beating well.
4. In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until soft peaks form (be sure before beating the whites that you have cleaned and thoroughly dried the beaters).
5. Fold the egg whites into the yolk, sugar and alcohol mixture. Refrigerate the mix until well chilled (at least three hours). You may also refrigerate it overnight if desired.
6. Stir to recombine as needed. Serve the eggnog in mugs, topping each serving with some nutmeg.
Note: For a fun party game, take a vote as to who thinks “eggnog” derives from the English word “noggin” (a small glass with an upright handle) versus a combination of “egg” and “grog.” All those on the side with the fewest votes make the next batch.