October 11, 2017 | 10:03 AM
Grilled Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups (10 ounces) uncooked orzo pasta
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
1 jar (23 ounces) Bertolli Rustic Cut Spicy Marinara with Traditional Vegetables Sauce, divided
6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) coarsely chopped smoked almonds
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint, divided
6 large red, yellow or orange bell peppers, top 1/2 inch removed and seeded
1. Heat grill to high.
2. In medium skillet on medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add pasta; cook and stir 2-3 minutes, or until light golden brown. Stir in broth and 1 cup sauce; bring to boil.
3. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook 4 minutes, or until pasta is al dente, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
4. Stir in cheese, almonds and 1/4 cup mint. Brush outsides of peppers with remaining oil. Grill 4-6 minutes, or until crisp tender and lightly marked on all sides, turning frequently; cool slightly.
5. Place peppers in center of 12-by-12-inch square of heavy duty foil. Bring sides of foil up and shape foil around each pepper, leaving tops open. Shape foil into stable base to secure peppers firmly. Keep upright while grilling.
6. Fill each pepper with 1 tablespoon sauce and about 3/4 cup orzo mixture. Grill peppers 8-10 minutes, or until filling is heated through. Remove from foil. Warm remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mint before serving with warmed sauce.
7. To prepare peppers: Heat oven to 400° F. Prepare orzo mixture as directed but do not grill peppers. Fill raw peppers with orzo mixture and place on foil squares. Bring sides of foil up and seal tops to fully enclose each pepper.
8. Arrange on rimmed baking sheet and bake 20-25 minutes, or until peppers are soft and filling is heated through.
Featured Post: Featured Post: Calendar Highlight: Calendar Highlight: